Wire electrical discharge machining (WEDM), also known as wire-cut EDM is a process of using a thin single-strand of metal wire fed through a workpiece. The wire is constantly fed from a spool is held between the upper and lower guides. The guides move in the x-y plane and control the movement of the wire through the workpiece during the cutting process. Most machines in use today are CNC controlled. Wire EDM machines are very Precise and can be programmed to cut very intricate and delicate shapes.
The wire-cut process uses water as its dielectric with the water's resistivity and other electrical properties carefully controlled by filters and deionizer units. The water also serves the very critical purpose of flushing the cut debris away from the cutting zone. Flushing is an important determining factor in the maximum feed rate of material available in a given thickness, and poor flushing situations necessitate the reduction of the feed rate.
1. Starting a CNC EDM wire cut machines.
2. Write a CNC program.
3. Prepare and display graphics using applications Autocad and Mycam cuts.
4. Coordinate offset coordinate position of the wire cutting and die on the workpiece.
5. Programming and cutting operations on the machine.
6. Stop the machine CNC wire cut EDM.
EDM Wire Cut
EDM Wire Cutting Head
Step to EDM WireCut
1. 415V main switchboard is open.
2. Switch on the cooler (chiller) is open.
3. EDM controller switch is opened and the safety button is released the use of machines.
Steps for entering data:
1. By using autocad software, 2D Drawn shape as Figure 1.
2. 2D autocad drawings saved in DXF format.
3. By using mycam, each line is attached drawings to ensure Examined.
4. Using Mycam software, autocad drawing format converted to a format to be construed in NC programming of codes that will be Produced.
5. Drawing information is Stored and transferred into the wire cut EDM machines.
Measures to cut programming:
1. On the machine control panel, programming information transmitted is stored in the machine file.
2. Re-opened the file to be modifications and simulated. If there are corrections to the cutting angle, the angle changed to suit the cut.
3. Auto Switch is pressed to check the position of the cuts will be done.
4. After programming certain to be broken, Jog is used to adjust the upper head and lower head plate cutting approaches.
5. In the control panel, switch memory, water, power EDM pressed for the inclusion of water and related processes.
6. Cycle start switch is pressed and disconnect the start.
Safety precautions when handling EDM machines
1. Make sure there are no leaks in the tank dielectric liquid tank hose and pipe connections.
2. Make sure a fire extinguisher near the machine for use in emergencies.
3. Make sure the materials are installed in areas where the right job.
4. Make sure the electrodes are not touching the thing work.
5. Make sure the cutting wire is not touching things work.
6. Make sure each cable there is no leakage.
7. Clear oily liquid that is in place the working substance during the installation process.
8. Clean all dirt in the tank desk and storage tanks.
9. Wear appropriate clothing while using machines.
The desired objectives have been successfully implemented. Any guidance given by lecturers is very useful and effective. We have been successfully using CNC EDM wire cut machine with skill and know how to enter the program and run machine for the design of the products made. In addition, we also know how to apply the program to form the G-code to get the result as above. All that was taught to us was really helpful to our advantage as we go into the working world later.